"Is this just substitution?"
"By choosing to incorporate this tool, will my lesson be more authentic?"
"Am I just trying to make this lesson look Cooler?..or are my choices really redefining the learning outcome for my students?"
For the last couple of weeks, these ideas have been tumbling around in my head. Since I began my graduate work at Appstate, these questions have been ones we have tossed around quite a bit. In conjunction with these questions, my school district is embarking on a total REFRESH for next school year. I'm super excited about all of these upcoming changes, but I'm also a little leery too. It's easy to get new computers, but the level of REFRESH that we are looking at involves overhauling instruction too, and it also means rethinking and redefining the way we are teaching.
Part of this training has led us to explore the SAMR model of teaching. I will admit, prior to our talks about refreshing what we are doing for next year, I had not heard of the SAMR model. Quite frankly, when I would sit down to plan lessons I did not consider all of these elements. Now, when I think back to all of those Sunday nights I would spend lesson planning and wondering if what I was doing was rigorous enough, I would have liked to have had this model to compare them too.
For some, understanding SAMR can be hard to understand. Clearly, there is an above or below the line approach to lesson planning with this model. I think above/below the line has a negative connotation associated with it. Sometimes, we need to get back to the basics and sometimes I kid simply needs a study guide or guided note-taker---but not all of the time. I prefer the idea of swimming in the shallow or deep end of the pool. It feel great when one can make it to the deep end and swim with ease; however, we cannot stay in the deep end, always. We have to toggle back and forth or we will drown. It's important for teachers to understand that they don't have to re-do everything they are already doing. Simply put, they can start to move or redefine some aspects of their teaching or lessons--not everything. As an instructional coach, it's important for me to remember to nurture my teachers through this process and to keep reminding them that swimming in the SAMR pool is not about staying in the deep end always. Personally, one of my favorite things in this world is a good cup of Starbuck's coffee, so when I saw this info graphic related to SAMR--suddenly it all made sense. Sometimes we need a good o' cup of coffee and sometimes we are in the mood for a full blown pumpkin spiced latte.

No comments:
Post a Comment